Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, September 5, 2011

Reviving a Dresser

I bought this dresser off Craigslist.  In the listing it said it was a project.  When I arrived to get it, I almost turned around and left.
But there was something about this maple dresser that made me want to help it.
Lake and home 049
The veneer was missing from the top.  After peeling some back, I realized what was underneath was even worse.  So I used a ton of wood filler to fill the gap.
Hubby got busy with the wood glue on the drawers, the sides and the top.  The veneer was loose everywhere!
shelves 028
But look at these wood wheels. Swoon.
shelves 031
And look at the finish on the legs! Uggg!
I opted for Paris Gray, even though the rest of the furniture in the guest room is Old White.  This baby needed to stand out.
Guest room 004
When the paint dried, the top bowed.  So Hubby peeled the veneer back a bit and injected wood glue.
Guest room 005
I thought it was going in the landfill at this point.
Guest room 006
Despite my tight deadline, we clamped it and left it for dead overnight.
When we woke, we found it was still a bit wet and one part did not adhere too well.
Guest room 004
So I sanded this baby with 100 grit and the palm sander.  I was losing hope.
Guest room 005
Then I heavily distressed the whole dresser.  I figured nothing was going to be perfect on her, so lets embrace her quarks.
Guest room 007
Oh yeah, roughed up in all the right places.
Then I mixed AS Dark Wax with some clear and brushed and wiped the mix all over the dresser.
Guest room 010
You can see the difference – the top left drawer has not been waxed.
Guest room 011
Then I hit the top.  Crossing my fingers, I applied some more wood filler, sanded and painted a coat.
Without further ado…

Lake and home 049
Guest room complete 004
This has been my biggest furniture challenge yet.  I am so thrilled with the result!  I may have to move her in a place where I can see her everyday!  I cannot express my relief and shock that I actually brought her back to life!
Let’s look at some more shots, shall we?
Guest room complete 005
Guest room complete 001
Guest room complete 002
Hope you all enjoy!
XO-
Shannon
I must share with some friends at these parties:
Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Photobucket

27 comments:

The Painted Parlor said...

Wow, that turned out amazing despite all your setbacks! Beautiful :)

Polly said...

WOW! Quite a project, but well worth all the effort!! Nice job! And congrats on being so patient!!!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Perfect!!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Oh this is just wonderful!

CLD said...

I'm sure it was a lot of work...but oh so worth it. It turned out just gorgeous! Bobbie

foreverdecorating said...

Oh my she is a beauty. I was taught in adult shop class that after you put glue under the veneer, place a folded paper towel over the glued area then a board. Clamp in place and let dry. When you remove the clamps, the board will not stick because it has the paper towel between the board and top surface. The paper towel will stick to the top and all you have to do is sand the paper towel off. I use this technique all the time to make veneer lay down flat.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

It looks fantastic!

Deborah March said...

What a FABULOUS transformation...well worth all your hard labour!

Deborah (happily visiting from
http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com)

{Hope you can drop by!}

McKelle said...

You did a great job! I'm redoing and antique dresser that is similar...one leg is completely cracked in 2....I'm crosing my fingers!! Definitely a "project"! Thanks for the inspiration!

SueBee said...

Wow! I might have given up. I just did a chair in ASCP old white with AS dark wax and then AS clear wax. It's posted righ now. I love how it turned out. I think I will keep it for a while before I sell it.
I'm impressed!!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Holy WOW. I can't believe this is the same piece!

Sharon, aka Bootersmom03 said...

Awesome job on the repair! Looks FABULOUS!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

You did a fabulous job! That was some project. I almost thought she was a goner after it swelled up be you hung in there. She looks great now :)

Unknown said...

Looks like it was a lot of work! But well worth it! :) It came out great!

~Liz

DIYbyDesign said...

You are brave. I think I would have run. I can't believe the transformation. Good for you!! Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

Suzie @ The Accent Piece said...

I love it! Way to bring it back to life :)
I'm your newest follower!

Ispirato Design said...

What an amazing before and after! I applaud your stick-to-it approach- your patience payed off big time! Looking forward to checking out some of your other projects. Newest follower!
Please stop by- I'm having a pet portrait give away!

Cassie Bustamante said...

awesome job! that color is soooo gorgeous!

Deanna said...

Wow what a job! But the payoff is awesome! Love it!

Deanna@DeelitefulCreations

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Beautiful!!!

I have to laugh at the whole process we furniture painters go through.

1. look for old..beat up piece of furniture
2. glue, strip, sand and fix wonky legs and drawers so everything is like new
3. Paint in gorgeous ASCP colors
4.DISTRESS THE H*** OUT OF IT TO LOOK WORN AND BEAT UP AGAIN

You gotta love out determination ;->

I love your dresser
Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.logspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a transformation. I love how it turned out. I am not sure I would have been brave enough to do it.
http://shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com/

annies home said...

love it

Kahli said...

Amazing job even with all the work you had to do!

lindsey said...

this. is. amazing. great work!

Margaret said...

This is gorgeous!! I admire your patience, haha! And I just love love love paris grey- such a good choice! As your newest follower, I'd love it if you linked this up to T.G.I.F. (Thank God I'm Finished) Friday at RummageLiving happening RIGHT NOW! http://www.rummageliving.com/2011/09/t-g-i-f-thank-god-im-finished-link-party/

xo,
Margaret@RummageLiving

WhyCuzICan said...

WOW!! Super nice---go glad you didn't give up on her!

BIG SMILES,
Suzanne in NW Illinois

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I'm calling your dresser the drama dresser :) LOVE how it turned out & thanks for linking up the PoPP.

Post a Comment